When a 42-year-old man had just returned from a holiday in Nigeria, he had no idea that his foot was likely to make global headlines. His visit to the African country had gone but a couple of days after he came home, he felt an itch in his or her foot. When he had a closer look, he noticed that there was a little red rash, and it appeared like the veins on his foot were bulging. Having never noticed veins that big on him earlier, he chose to go to a physician to find out if something was wrong with him.
The doctor looked at it and instantly told him not to worry; nothing more than a varicose vein, something that everyone has and virtually anything might make them look larger or smaller depending on a massive sum of other factors. That’s when they noticed that the “vein” had transferred.
Please scroll through this man’s story if you agree that expecting your first instincts is always important!
Warning: The images of this medical story might be distressing to some.
After a meaningful and fun trip to Nigeria, a 42-year-old guy was happy to be back home; but he started to notice what appeared to be a rash on his foot. He went to the doctor’s, but they instantly told him not to worry: it had been nothing more than a varicose vein which just appeared a bit bigger than the vein on his left foot. It has probably always been this large, but now he is focusing on it, it merely appears frightening and different.
Varicose veins are those gnarled veins. Nearly any vein may become varicose, but it typically occurs in your legs and feet. These veins are often only a cosmetic concern and usually don’t lead to life-threatening or serious health issues.
But eliminating these veins is a multi-million-dollar industry. From special creams to laser treatments, it seems as if everyone has been trying to get rid of them.
However, when that 42-year-old man noticed his “varicose vein” beginning to move up and down his foot, he decided that it was time to find another opinion.
The physicians looked a little closer and realized that this “vein” had proceeded a number of centimeters across the man’s foot within the previous month.
When they realized their mistake, you can only imagine the terror. This “vein” was really a parasite that causes an infection called cutaneous larva migrans.
This wasn’t a vein at the guy’s foot : it was a worm.
These hookworms usually live in the guts of our friendly pets like dogs and cats, and are often distributed throughout their droppings.
Humans then get contaminated through contact with an droppings, usually by walking barefoot on the beach or in dirt that’s close to the animal waste.
The perfect way to prevent contact with this particular worm is to wear shoes or flip-flops while walking around the shore. Usually this disease sticks in tropical areas, but there are instances of a transfer occurring in other climates!
If you’re on the beach or in a park, and you notice somebody not picking up after their dog… just make certain they hear about it!
Luckily, the man finished up just fine after having an over-the-counter medication. It really goes to show that if you become aware of something which seems odd on your own body, you need to definitely trust your instincts!
Please SHARE this shocking story if you think trusting your instincts is important!