These words of wisdom exceed the differences between people. This code of dwelling shapes one’s character. It molds each culture to become unique and unrepeatable. Most likely among the most spiritually advanced and personality building code is the Native American American Code of Ethics which was initially published in the Inter-Tribal Times in October of 1994.
It is a Code of Ethics that teaches everybody, American or not, how to live the ideal life. It is fascinating to note that a large part of its teachings are represented in other faith and beliefs too.
The Native American Code of Ethics
1. Rise with the sun to pray. Pray alone. Pray often. The Great Spirit will listen, if you just speak.
2. Be tolerant of those who are lost in their path. Ignorance, conceit, anger, jealousy and greed stem from a lost soul. Pray that they will find advice.
3. Search for yourself, by yourself. Do not allow other people to make your route for you. It is your road, and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.
4. Treat the guests in your home with much thought. Serve them the best food, give them the best bed and treat them with respect and honor.
5. Don’t take what isn’t yours whether from a person, a community, the wilderness or from a culture. It wasn’t earned nor given. It isn’t yours.
6. Respect all things that are placed upon the earth if it be people or plant life.
7. Honor other people’s thoughts, words and dreams. Never interrupt another or mock or rudely mimic them. Allow each person the right to personal reflection.
8. Never speak of others in a bad manner. The negative energy that you put out into the universe will multiply when it returns to you.
9. All persons make mistakes. And all mistakes can be forgiven.
10. Bad thoughts cause illness of the mind, body and soul. Practice optimism.
11. Nature is not FOR us, it is part of us. Animals, plants and other living creatures are all a part of your family.
12. Children are the seeds of our future. Plant love in their hearts and water them with wisdom and life’s lessons. When they’re grown, give them space to develop.
13. Avoid hurting the hearts of others. The poison of your pain will go back to you.
14. Be honest at all times. Honesty is the test of one’s will within this universe.
15. Keep yourself balanced. Your Mental self, Spiritual self, Emotional self, and Physical self have to be strong, healthy and pure. Work out the body to strengthen the mind. Grow rich in spirit to cure emotional ails.
16. Make conscious decisions as to who you will be and how you will respond. Be accountable for your actions.
17. Respect the privacy and personal space of others. Don’t touch the personal property of other people — especially sacred and religious objects. This is forbidden.
18. Be true to yourself. You cannot nurture and help others in the event that you can’t nurture and help yourself.
19. Respect others religious beliefs. Don’t force your belief on others.
20. Share your good fortune with other people. Participate in charity.
We may change in our religion, religion, and civilization, however we all live together on the same boat. We’re just custodians and not owners of the planet, not its conquerors nor its own destroyers.